Tuesday, November 02, 2004

National Novel Writing Month

The point of NaNoWriMo is to write a whole, 50,000-word novel in one month. Why they chose November with Thanksgiving smack in the middle of it (okay, at the end), I will never know...Maybe because the guys who started this are guys. Who don't cook. Or do Thanksgiving for their families.

Anyway, I'm not doing a start-from-scratch novel, so I didn't sign up on the "official" website. I've got this book to finish. And it's one heck of a lot longer than 50,000 words. If I can keep it under 150,000, I'll be happy.

But I'm doing my own unofficial version, on a couple of loops, because, as said, I have to finish this stinkin' book. Got 5-1/2 pages written yesterday. Found my way out of the corner the characters boxed me into, and got into the next scene...and had to stop because I had no clue where it was going.

Worked that out in morning pages over breakfast, and wrote six (6) pages today. Met my goal. And I'm still in the middle of the scene, so I know (sort of) where to pick it up tomorrow.

It's snowing today--election day. It does snow more often in this part of Texas than further downstate, but it's unusual to be snowing this early. Though now I think of it, it snowed here on the last presidential election day... Hmm. Is this some kind of sign or something? I voted two weeks ago, just so I wouldn't have to think about politics and could ignore people picking at me.

I can't be worrying over that kind of unimportant stuff. I have a book to finish!

No comments: