Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Second Draft - Complete!

I'm trying to make a list of things I'd like to blog about sometime, so that when I think of something that would make a good blog, I won't forget what they are before I get round to blogging them. Mostly I just wait and see what I can come up with on the spur of the very last moment possible. Which is what you're getting today.

I finished typing New Blood into the computer today. (Yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!! - again, picture Kermit the Frog running around in circles, waving his little spindly arms in the air, going Yayyy) As a second draft, it's pretty minor. I don't make a whole lot of changes during the typing of the manuscript. But I do make some, and once it's all in the computer, I can print it out, and go at it with the weedwacker. And it's IN THERE!!

It does need a weedwacker. And some makeup and disguises. Maybe some wholesale demo and rebuilding. I have made notes--mostly mental, but today I did write some stuff down on the back of an earlier revision paragraph page. And it's mostly, sorta readable. And I need to do the vast majority of this fixing next week.

Because the Dallas grandboys are coming to visit (I hope) the week after that. And half-a-week after that, I'm heading off to the parents to visit the sister and b-i-l coming to visit from the mountains, and after a week at the parents, I'll head up to Dallas for RWA--and then...well, it's going to be time to go home and clean up my office to sell the Panhandle house, so we can see about getting our Beach house. I might have about a week for that. Maybe two. Yeah. It's getting busy.

But the book is in the computer.

2 comments:

Catie said...

YAY for Book-In-Computer!

I've noticed that on the occasions that I handwrite rough draft (not often, and only when I have no other choice) I usually do some fairly heavy editing when I start typing it in. It's an interesting process!

-Catie

Gail Dayton said...

Everybody has their own process, don't they? I've edited out a couple of scenes as I typed. Other things, I went ahead and typed in, but thought "This doesn't need to be in here, it's boring--but I don't know where to stop or where to start again, or how to smooth over the gap, so I'll figure that out when I print it out. But this needs to go."