Saturday, March 31, 2007

Smacked in the Head

Getting smacked in the head sounds painful, but it's not always bad.

This morning, while I was "snoozing," waiting for the phone to go off again (I hate lunging across the king-sized bed for the alarm on the other side, so I set my phone), I was smacked in the head by The Perfect First Sentence for a new story. And I had to get up and write it down. I wrote for 30 minutes, and got 2 pages. I just love it when that happens. :)

I'll have to make some notes and figure out further plot and stuff, but the idea's been churning around in my subconscious for the past 3 months while I've been working on finishing New Blood, so it's not hitting me cold...the hero of the new book is a secondary character in New Blood. So I've got him characterized, pretty much. (I originally cast Ralph Fiennes as this character, but he sorta morphed into Johnny Depp--more as he was in The Libertine than as Jack Sparrow...) I'm using the subplot I excised from NB as the main plot of the new hero's book. I just have to learn exactly who the heroine is, and what sort of magic she's best suited for. OH, and I came up with what I think is the perfect title. The new hero is a conjurer who works spirit magic, like the heroine in New Blood is a sorceress who works blood magic, so the new title is OLD SPIRITS. Yeah, I guess I'm excited a little bit...

I spent the day selling sausage wraps and breakfast burritos to the 2400 competitors (from 6th through 12th grade) in the judging contest the local community college sponsors. The Friends of the Library went to serve breakfast--and lunch. I ate one of each for my lunch. Yum. I had to get all my marshmallow treats for the sale made yesterday, so I could go with the fella to the estate auction in Amarillo.

The really good stuff was going up under the hammer today, so I didn't get the cool shamrock teapot or any of the neat things--last night they were just selling the box lots. My job is to say "Oooh, that looks cool, let's bid on that" and then sit in the chair and read my book and not look like I'm bidding. Last night, I read Her Perfect Life by Vicki Hinze--a FANTABULOUS book, and one of the Rita finalists. I'd already picked it up, and was meaning to read it when the Rita nominations came out, so that just made me read it sooner. Loved it.

We bought a box of copper stuff, and a box of boxes (mostly jewelry boxes, but there was a Silver Jubilee biscuit tin from 1935 and a really weird rawhide earring tree thing, and a cool inlaid mosaic-type box that was the one I really wanted for me), and three boxes of books that had Tarot decks in them. I read Tarot, so I wanted the boxes with the decks. And the one with Hopi legends--there was a lot of New Age-y stuff that will be good for research, and some Santa Fe art catalogs. Oh, and we got a couple of rolling file cabinet things for $10 each. Not bad. No idea where we'll put the file box things, but... I have stuff to fill them up. And then I got to eat dinner at the Texas Roadhouse. It's really noisy, but we like the food.

No comments: