Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Struggles and brainlessness

So, okay. It's been almost a year since I last posted anything here. And basically, I have no excuses. We went on a trip to Vancouver and Seattle not long after that last post where I blew out my knee--not the knee I usually have trouble with, the other one. Which, I think, rendered me brainless. I didn't actually do any major damage to the thing, it just hurt a lot. I was on crutches for a couple of weeks, got shots in the knees, did physical therapy, and gradually got to where I could walk again. The process, by the end of it, took months.

But the brainless thing didn't seem to improve. I was busy, mostly working for other people, and took note of things I needed to do. I just didn't do them fast enough. Like maintaining my website. I decided to transfer the registration of my domain name, but in the middle of getting the job done, my computer with all the e-mail accounts had to go into the shop, twice, my phone went on the fritz, and I may have left town somewhere in there. Anyway, by the time I got myself back together, somebody in Japan hijacked my gaildayton-dot-com domain.

You may have noticed that you get some random search thing if you try to look at that domain. This is why. I have not disappeared (though sometimes it probably feels like it). I just got hijacked. I haven't yet tried to buy back the domain. I may not.

What I have done is register the gaildayton-dot-net domain. I have not yet transferred my website to that location, but I will. I might even get it done this week. I will come back and report here when I do. This means that I will have to find my brain from wherever it has wandered off to and put it back where it belongs. This will not be an easy task, but it's got to be done. ;)

If you want to get in touch with me, the best way is probably through comments here, or at my GoodReads page. I'm over there as GailDayton. We can be friends! :) I do compare books with those who ask to friend me, to see if we have anything in common, if I don't already know you. But I have 3,500 books on my "already read" list. Surely there's something in that massive list that you have already read too.

I will also work at getting back to the "Texas for Writers" series of blogs. I know. I'm being VERY slow. sorry.

In other news, the fella and I went on our first cruise this summer. We figured it was about time, since cruises leave several times a week from the port downtown. We left our cars at home, took a taxi down to the terminal, and sailed to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. It was a lot of fun, and we didn't get sunburned! I sang karaoke, we went snorkeling (my first time), the fella bought a big wooden fish, we got sloshed around in the whirlpool spa-- And were very lazy.

Now that school is back in session, life on Galveston Island has slowed way down. We don't have to fight traffic quite so much on weekdays, or even weekends. The weather hasn't started cooling down yet, but we've been getting a decent amount of rain--though we're still behind the yearly average. September tends to be the rainiest month. I've bought a new orchid from the grocery store, and one of my old ones is putting up a pair of flower stems. I'll take a picture once it blooms. Oh, and one of my new daylilies made seeds, so I'm going to plant them and see if I can get them to grow. My oldest grandboy is now 13, and is taller than me. He's in 7th grade and his daddy is having to threaten the girls at his school to stay away. He is awfully cute.

Y'all hang in there, and if you happen to see my brain go wandering by, give me a holler...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so very happy to hear that you're, um... alive! When a favorite author wanders off the interwebz I tend to get worried. Anyway, I just started rereading New Blood (bought it for my Kindle so I don't have to squint at the tiny typeface on my paperback copy) and am loving it all over again. I hope that someday you continue the series, and/or write something new. Just wanted to tell you that. And if you ever decide to write more romance, I work for a great company as an acquiring editor. Just saying. :)

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Aint that d'Troof, brudda...