Monday, April 06, 2009

Good Friends

Here it is, Monday again. I thought about posting a blog a couple of times last week, but alas, never did. If I think about it again this week, and I'm near/on a computer, I'll do it.

So, my post is about good friends. At least a dozen years ago, when I lived in Whitney, TX, and was just getting started with trying to write professionally, a young woman named Sandy decided the Central Texas area needed a chapter of RWA. I headed down to Waco and helped charter the Heart of Texas Chapter, and I've been a member ever since, even though I don't live there any more.

Sandy, along with the woman who would become Harlequin/Silhouette author Kristi Gold, and I formed a critique group. Later Belinda Barnes (who's had a couple of books published by Harlequin) joined the group and we met every other week for several years--until Sandy moved away.

Sandy grew up in Galveston, and not too long ago, her daughter was reading in the Tor newsletter about New Blood, and told her mom "Hey, isn't this one of your friends?" And something in my bio made her wonder if I was living in Galveston now. Which of course, I am.

She comes back to Galveston often. Her sister lives nearby, her parents are buried here, she has aunts and uncles just around the corner from my house... So when she came down this past weekend, we got together. She came to my house, and we talked. And talked. And talked. Then we drove around Galveston and talked some more, while she showed me all her old stomping grounds, and where she'd pictured us living, and where all her friends used to live, and we talked some more. It was SO much fun. And she's coming back in June. I'm hoping to get some of our Waco friends to come down then so we can hang out.

That was the big event of the week. I went to a baby shower for a friend on Saturday. Went out shopping and barely made it back in time to throw on other clothes, stick the present in a bag and go. It was fun and I even got to do a little book PR, because the new mom and her sister love fantasy romance. And the shopping trip was a good one--Two pairs of pants and a T-shirt, plus printer ink.

That's pretty much all the news I have. I got all of 9 pages written last week. Nothing at all over the weekend. Today, I'm working the dayjob all day, because I'm taking tomorrow off. I was thinking about heading out to the parents' this weekend, but now I think I probably won't. Not enough time. And it's Easter. Hmm. I may have to shop again. I don't have anything new to wear for Easter. Still, all in all, it was a good week. :)

No comments: