Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Reading Glom


I really shouldn't be doing this. I have lots of other things to do. The son is graduating college. (YAY! Last one out!! We will get a Raise!) (That is, once he gets a job and moves out.) Anyway, his graduation is Saturday morning, and we have lots of company coming in Friday night. We have cleaning to do, shrimps to buy (because we're going to throw them on the barbie), potato salad to make, beans to cook--all the things one does when one has a party.

And I'm still in a reading frenzy. See, I picked up a book I had in my closet, in a stack of "re-read in case you still want to keep it" books, and re-read it. Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff. And I liked it. So I bought another book in Huff's Valor series, and also picked up the first book in Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War series, Trading in Danger. I read the Huff book, and liked it, but wanted a bit more of a time gap before I read another in that series. So I read the Moon book.

Then I got books 2 and 3 in the series. And read them. I am now reading book 4, and have book 5 on the Reader waiting for me to finish #4. I do not want to clean. I don't want to cook. I don't want to go to work. All I want to do is read. I really hate getting stuck like this. Especially when I have so much else to do.

Yeah, I'm enjoying these books. They start off a tiny bit like Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan story when he gets kicked out of the space force academy and goes off and creates his own mercenaries--but not. The heroine, Kylara Vatta, gets kicked out of the academy, and is shipped off on a family trading ship, but the characters aren't really similar--Miles is much more romantic than Kylara, and much more hyperactive. Ky gets into fixes more because of events around her, than her own actions (though not always). Anyway, there's a lot of adventure and space battling and intrigue and, well, all kinds of stuff. And I need to finish the darn books and get through graduation and the flurry of things I have going on afterward--like doctor appointments, and dentist appointments--I have to have a new crown on a back tooth because a piece of it is threatening to break off--and parental unit stuff, and-- Just thinking about it makes me tired. At least the sister is bringing them TO graduation. I may have to take them back.

No comments: