Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Off to San Francisco

It's about 90 degrees today (32.2 C), and--as usual, on a small island--about 900 percent humidity. (Okay, okay, probably only 90%, but it FEELS like 900%...) Which means it's freakin' hot outside. It has been this hot since--oh, March, or so. Okay--maybe just since May. But a long time. Hot. Really hot. And muggy.

Tomorrow, I am flying to San Francisco. When I checked the weather online, to make sure I was packing the right stuff--because you know, it just seems really freaky to break out the long sleeves and sweaters--I saw that the HIGH temperature over the next 4 or 5 days, while I am in San Francisco, is going to be 60 degrees. SIXTYfreakin'degrees!!! (This is 15.5 degrees in dog-years--er, the-rest-of-the-world temps)

I'm not sure it gets that cold here in the dead of winter. And if it does, that was a long time ago. It's been really hot for a long time. I'm used to the heat. I am going to Freeze to Death.

Or half to death, anyway. Nonetheless, I have packed long sleeves and sweaters and jackets. I have my leather jacket out to wear. I am taking socks, and my black walking shoes. (AKA, the Adidas) I am also taking silver sparkly sandals and fancy dresses for the fancy activities. I figure the leather jacket can go on top of the fancy dress for the things that require me to leave the building.

I am going to the Romance Writers of America conference and I'm going to do a little sight seeing, if I can work it. I've never been to San Francisco before, and I'm 'cited about going. I have my airport shuttle reservation. I have my boarding passes. I'm sorta packed. (Should I put in another skirt? What will put me over the top on luggage weight? How many suitcases can I have, anyway? Without paying extra, I mean.)

I don't have a laptop, so I won't be blogging from conference. I'll try to remember to do a quick drive-by blog when I get back--but no guarantees when I'll get to it. I can't wait! This is going to be fun!

No comments: